Toyota City, Japan, December 9, 2020―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) today launched the completely redesigned “Mirai” fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV). The all-new Mirai is available from Toyota vehicle dealers starting December 9.
FCEVs run on hydrogen, a fuel that can be produced from various energy sources and contributes to preservation of the global environment and reinforcing energy security. They are the ultimate eco-cars, offering long cruising ranges with a short refueling time and generating zero emissions. The first-generation Mirai, launched in 2014, was a revolutionary FCEV and a global forerunner in mass production. During the early stages of the Mirai’s introduction, there was limited supply capacity, and customers made various requests including a larger seating capacity and longer cruising range.
In response, Toyota set a target for the all-new Mirai to create a “premium car that will make customers think that ‘this is a high-quality car that I truly want’ immediately upon seeing it, while driving, and after they complete a trip,” while maintaining its status as an FCEV.
Hydrogen use has progressed in various forms with the aim of creating a low-carbon and decarbonized economy, and Toyota plans to use new fuel cell (FC) systems that pursue compact size, efficiency, and productivity in the means of mobility that support society including trucks and buses, and contribute to the expanded use of hydrogen.
You Might Also Like: Toyota Mirai Released with Cutting Edge Technology and Enhanced Safety
The new Mirai will serve as a new departure point for creating a hydrogen-based society of the future.
Emotional Appeal through Styling
The concept of “silent dynamism” was incorporated into the design with the aim of creating an emotional appeal not just because it is an eco-car, but because of its styling.
- The exterior design fuses the proportions to exude a sense of speed with outlines that emphasize bold surface changes.
- The interior design merges the fun of driving with a sense of comfort while in admiration of the advanced innovations at a higher level.
- The new Mirai is available in a lineup of eight body colors including Force Blue Multiple Layers, a newly-developed color that provides shading and vividness to accentuate the styling.
Distinctive Driving Experience Unique to FCEVs
In addition to environmental performance, the new Mirai pursues perfection as a car that is comfortable and fun to drive.
- The torque surges from the moment the accelerator is pressed for the smooth acceleration of an FCEV up to any speed.
- The compact, high-output FC stack is located under the hood, and the motor and drive battery are in the rear. Optimal placement of the FC stack including the hydrogen fuel tank achieve an optimal 50:50 weight distribution between the front and the rear.
- Based on the GA-L platform that has established a reputation as a platform for high-end rear-wheel-drive vehicles, the structures of various parts including the rear have been redesigned to create greatly enhanced body rigidity.
- The new Mirai is an electrified vehicle with no engine vibration or noise, and the enhanced body rigidity and additional soundproofing measures provide an outstanding level of quietness.
As a result of these enhancements, the new Mirai delivers both responsive handling and a quiet and smooth ride, the joys of driving an FCEV.