Michigan-based energy storage company, Our Next Energy Inc. (ONE), has made a groundbreaking advancement in electric vehicle (EV) technology with its Gemini dual-chemistry battery. This new battery has demonstrated an unprecedented 608.1-mile range on a single charge in a BMW iX, as confirmed by the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP).
Why It Matters
This development marks a significant leap in EV capabilities, addressing range anxiety which is a major barrier to EV adoption. With Gemini’s ability to double the range of electric vehicles, it opens up new possibilities for EV usage and acceptance, making them a more viable option for a wider range of consumers.
- The Gemini battery offers 450 Wh/L of energy density and a capacity of over 185 kWh in a space typically allocated for passenger EV battery packs.
- It employs a novel dual-chemistry architecture, reducing the use of lithium by 20%, graphite by 60%, and minimizes nickel and cobalt dependency.
- The battery combines Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) cells for regular trips (up to 150 miles) and high energy density anode-free cells for extended range (additional 450 miles).
- The partnership with BMW Group and investment from BMW i Ventures signifies industry confidence in ONE’s technology.
- The next steps for ONE include refining the Gemini system for commercialization, improving efficiency, and preparing for full production.
The Gemini battery’s ability to fit within the standard 300-400 liter vehicle space while delivering over 600 miles of range is a game-changer in the EV industry. This advancement by ONE not only paves the way for broader EV adoption due to increased range but also emphasizes sustainability with reduced raw material usage. As ONE prepares for commercialization, the automotive industry looks towards a future where electric vehicles can meet and exceed the range of traditional fuel-powered vehicles.