During a recent trip in Chatham, Mass., I had the privilege of driving the 2022 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, thanks to a generous friend. Traversing the Mid and Outer Cape Cod, the journey was nothing short of impressive.
Key Features and Performance
- Drive Experience: The Model 3 offers a quiet, powerful, and comfortable drive, easily accommodating up to five passengers and their belongings.
- EV Revolution: While there have been other EVs both before and after the Model 3, its blend of a vast Tesla charging network, practical size, and affordable pricing sets it apart as a preferred choice for many.
- Powertrain: The “Dual Motor” signifies AWD capabilities – with one motor at the front delivering 184 hp and 177 lb-ft torque, and the rear motor offering 241 hp with 298 lb-ft torque. Its 82kWh battery allows a range of up to 333 miles, with a quick 20-minute charge adding up to 147 miles of range.
- Performance: The Model 3’s stats speak for themselves – it can accelerate from 0-60 mph in just 4.2 seconds. Additionally, its sturdy suspension and efficient steering, coupled with the low center of gravity, ensures a smooth ride even on the most challenging terrains.
Tech and Interior
- Driver Assistance: Tesla’s unique approach to Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS) relies primarily on cameras. Unlike traditional systems, the Model 3 offers animated graphics for blind-spot monitoring on its central 15-inch touchscreen.
- Minimalist Interior: With most controls centralized on the 15-inch touchscreen, the Model 3’s cabin is sleek and uncluttered. Whether you’re adjusting the temperature or opening the glove box, voice commands and the touch display simplify the process.
- User Experience: While there’s a learning curve, the Model 3 remembers your preferences, from seat positions to climate settings.
Ownership and Pricing
Living with the Model 3 seems to be a joy for many. A notable decline in price from $55,990 in 2022 to $47,420 in 2023 makes it even more appealing. Factoring in tax incentives and fuel savings, the effective cost could be as low as $33,240.
While the Tesla Model 3 stands out for its performance, expansive charging network, and reliability, potential buyers should note its unique design choices. A test drive is a must to understand if its quirks align with your preferences. If it resonates with you, the Model 3 is undeniably a top contender in the EV market.