What’s Happening: Volkswagen is gearing up to launch its new electric vehicle, the ID.7, in a simultaneous global premiere across Europe, China, and the United States on Monday, April 17th. The ID.7 is a near five-meter long, upper mid-size class vehicle, boasting efficient drive, long-range capabilities, and premium technologies. This marks Volkswagen’s third electric vehicle offering in 2023, with a total of ten new ID. models planned for release by 2026.
Why It Matters: Volkswagen’s ID.7 is a critical model in the company’s international expansion plans, particularly in Asia and North America. According to Imelda Labbé, Member of the Board of Management for Sales, Marketing, and Aftersales of the Volkswagen brand, the ID.7 offers “plenty of space, innovative assist systems, and modern features like a high-end infotainment system.” The vehicle is expected to strengthen Volkswagen’s position in the premium electric vehicle market.
- The global premiere on April 17th will feature broadcast links to China, the USA, and five major European cities.
- Volkswagen plans to offer the widest electric range of all manufacturers in Europe by 2026, with prices ranging from 25,000 euros to the flagship ID.7 model.
- In China, the ID.7 will complement the existing ID.3, ID.4, and ID.6 electric product lines.
- The North American market will see three new ID. models, with the ID. Buzz launching in 2023 and the ID.7 following in 2024.
- Volkswagen will invest over seven billion euros in the electric and digital transformation of its brand in North America by 2027.
Bottom Line: The introduction of the ID.7 is a significant milestone in Volkswagen’s journey towards a purely electric model range. With production starting in Germany and China for European and North American markets, Volkswagen is making substantial investments in the electric mobility landscape. The ID.7’s global premiere is poised to bolster the company’s electric offensive and accelerate its push for sustainable transportation.