BMW is broadening the 5 Series Sedan line-up with the inclusion of plug-in hybrid versions. Starting November 2023, the company will introduce the BMW 530e Sedan and BMW 550e xDrive Sedan to its range.
Why It Matters
This move underscores BMW’s commitment to expanding its electrified vehicle offerings. It follows closely on the heels of their all-electric BMW i5 release and other combustion engine models enhanced with 48-volt mild hybrid technology.
- The new BMW 530e Sedan and BMW 550e xDrive Sedan will be available for orders immediately.
- Prices in Germany are set at 65,300 euros (incl. VAT) for the 530e and 77,300 euros (incl. VAT) for the 550e xDrive.
- Both vehicles utilize the latest BMW eDrive technology. The 530e pairs this with a four-cylinder petrol engine, while the 550e xDrive combines it with a six-cylinder petrol engine.
- The electric motor, designed specifically for these hybrid models, seamlessly integrates with the 8-speed Steptronic Sport transmission.
- BMW 550e xDrive Sedan boasts a 0 to 100 km/h time of 4.3 seconds and a maximum speed of 250 km/h, while the 530e Sedan accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds, reaching a top speed of 230 km/h.
- Electric-only driving mode for both models can reach speeds up to 140 km/h.
- Increased electric range: 83-90 km for the 550e xDrive and 93-103 km for the 530e, based on WLTP standards.
- Charging the high-voltage battery from 0% to 100% takes just 3 hours 15 minutes with a maximum charging power of 7.4 kW.
BMW’s decision to extend its 5 Series Sedan line with plug-in hybrid versions reflects its forward-thinking approach to meet the global push for greener transportation. Offering advanced technology, efficient electric ranges, and the brand’s signature driving dynamics, these vehicles aim to attract consumers looking for luxury, performance, and sustainability.