ChargePoint, a prominent player in electric vehicle (EV) charging solutions, has unveiled its strategic investment in advanced technologies from the networking and information security sectors. Once these technologies are fully integrated, they aim to achieve nearly 100% reliability in their charging stations. This initiative will also incorporate natural language processing, improved driver communications, and top-tier training certification, positioning ChargePoint at the forefront of the global EV charging domain.
Why It Matters
As the transition to electric mobility accelerates, the reliability of EV charging becomes paramount. ChargePoint’s Network Operations Center (NOC) is geared to ensure large-scale reliability, supporting the surge in EV adoption. Rick Wilmer, ChargePoint’s Chief Operating Officer, emphasized, “Reliable EV charging is pivotal in the electric mobility shift. Our uptime calculation methodology stands as the industry’s most transparent, setting a benchmark for us to enhance. We’re elevating the charging experience across the entire ecosystem to guarantee an unparalleled charging experience for every driver.”
- The NOC will offer 24/7 proactive station monitoring, predictive analytics, and employ machine learning to swiftly detect station downtimes, enhancing charger uptime and expediting incident responses.
- ChargePoint’s network, which already boasts over 243,000 active charging ports and roaming partners, is designed for rapid scalability.
- ChargePoint will launch a groundbreaking training program to certify electrical contractors installing EV charging infrastructure.
- The industry lacks a standardized uptime measurement. ChargePoint’s method measures uptime based on each charging port’s ability to provide energy. Currently, ChargePoint achieves around 96% uptime across its public network in North America and Europe.
- For ChargePoint Assure customers, a 98% annual station uptime guarantee is provided.
ChargePoint is intensifying its commitment to the driver experience by investing in cutting-edge technologies and initiatives. With the NOC’s introduction in July 2023, ChargePoint aims to ensure almost instantaneous remote identification of any charging station issues across its vast network. The integration of machine learning, natural language processing, and predictive analytics will facilitate rapid issue detection and resolution. Furthermore, ChargePoint’s upcoming training and certification program for electrical contractors, set to launch in 2024, will bolster the reliability of EV charging stations from installation to maintenance. This holistic approach, backed by a significant R&D investment, underscores the company’s dedication to revolutionizing the EV charging experience.