Carter County Schools (CCS) in Kentucky is pioneering a cleaner future for student transportation with 23 brand-new electric school buses. This marks a significant step towards reducing emissions and creating a healthier environment for students and communities.
Equipped for Efficiency: CCS chose Blue Bird’s state-of-the-art Vision electric buses, renowned for their extended range, faster charging, and increased capacity. These buses boast:
- High-capacity battery (196kWh): 25% more power than previous models, enabling a range of up to 130 miles on a single charge.
- Fast charging (80kW): Fully recharges in just 3 hours, minimizing downtime.
- Lightweight design: Improved efficiency and reduced weight allow for a 77-passenger capacity (up from 72).
Clean Air, Brighter Future: This initiative aligns with CCS’s commitment to clean transportation and aligns with the EPA’s Clean School Bus Program, funded by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. The program aims to provide $5 billion over five years for cleaner school bus options nationwide.
Quotes for Impact:
- Dr. Paul Green, Superintendent of CCS: “We are thrilled to deploy our very first electric school buses to lower emissions and create a healthier environment for our students and communities.”
- Britton Smith, President of Blue Bird Corporation: “We are proud to help Carter County Schools transition to clean student transportation with our industry-leading electric buses. Cleaner air for everyone, one ride at a time.”
Investing in the Future: CCS received a $9 million grant through the EPA program to purchase these buses. This investment not only benefits the environment but also represents a commitment to providing students with a safe, clean, and modern transportation experience.
Blue Bird: Leading the Way: As the only U.S.-owned and operated school bus manufacturer, Blue Bird has established itself as a leader in clean transportation, with over 1,500 electric buses currently in operation. CCS partnered with Blue Bird’s authorized dealer, Central States Bus Sales, Inc., to secure these advanced vehicles.
Looking Ahead: The transition to electric school buses is gaining momentum across the country. With initiatives like the EPA program and CCS’s pioneering efforts, we can expect to see cleaner air, healthier communities, and a brighter future for generations to come.