What’s Happening: UL Solutions, a global leader in applied safety science, has announced its plan to establish a new battery testing laboratory in Auburn Hills, Michigan by mid-2024. The new laboratory will be one of the most extensive battery testing and engineering facilities in North America, equipped with state-of-the-art battery test equipment to provide safety and performance testing services for electric vehicle and industrial battery products.
Why It Matters: The surge in electrification has heightened the focus on battery safety, making it critical to have reliable and trustworthy third-party testers to ensure compliance with safety and performance requirements. The new battery testing laboratory in Michigan will enable UL Solutions to contribute to the safe, secure, and sustainable commercialization of EV technologies and mobility solutions while supporting the growing demand for electric vehicles in North America.
- UL Solutions plans to establish a new battery testing laboratory in Auburn Hills, Michigan, by mid-2024, to provide safety and performance testing services for EV and industrial battery products.
- The new facility will be one of the most extensive battery testing and engineering laboratories in North America, equipped with state-of-the-art battery test equipment and staffed by expert battery engineers and laboratory personnel.
- The laboratory’s testing capabilities will include thermal propagation, fire testing, design verification and product validation, electrical, mechanical, abuse, and environmental testing based on various UL and IEC standards, UN goals and initiatives, SAE, and OEM specifications.
- The new laboratory’s location near Detroit, the world’s automotive capital, and within the Auburn Hills Oakland Technology Park complex will optimize supply chain logistics.
- Consumers’ preference for EV technology is growing, with more than half of those surveyed intending to buy a fully electric, plug-in hybrid or hybrid vehicle, according to the 2022 EY Mobility Consumer Index.
- The U.S. Department of Energy projects that electric vehicle battery manufacturing capacity in North America will increase almost 20 times from 2021 to 2030 to meet the growing demand.
- The Auburn Hills laboratory demonstrates UL Solutions’ commitment to operating at the forefront of the industry and applying the company’s safety science expertise to enable technology innovation and speed to market.
- The new laboratory will contribute to shorter development cycles and faster time-to-market, which are critical to competitive positioning in the global marketplace.
Bottom Line: UL Solutions’ new battery testing laboratory in Michigan will support the growing demand for EV technologies and mobility solutions while ensuring compliance with safety and performance requirements. The new facility’s location in the heart of the automotive industry and its advanced testing capabilities will enable UL Solutions to provide reliable and trustworthy testing services to the industry, contributing to the safe and sustainable commercialization of EV technologies.