Global testing, inspection, and certification services giant, TÜV SÜD America Inc., recently unveiled a state-of-the-art environmental laboratory in Auburn Hills, Michigan, further strengthening their commitment to enhancing the safety, reliability, and sustainability standards in electric vehicle (EV) battery and system solutions. The new facility, one of the most advanced EV battery testing labs globally, aims to empower safety, reliability, and sustainability with advanced testing.
Why It Matters
The launch of the Auburn Hills laboratory is a landmark move in shaping the future of mobility. According to Dr. Johannes Bussmann, CEO & Chairman of the Board of Management of TÜV SÜD, the company’s unwavering dedication to excellence, demonstrated through a $44M investment—the company’s most substantial laboratory site investment to date—will help propel the transition towards a cleaner and sustainable transportation ecosystem. Ishan Palit, COO and Board Member of TÜV SÜD, underscored that this facility will also expedite the deployment of essential charging infrastructure and energy storage solutions.
- TÜV SÜD has been an independent testing laboratory for batteries in North America since 2009.
- The new laboratory has created new jobs, bolstering Southeast Michigan’s economy and the automotive and mobility workforce.
- The facility is fully powered by MIGreenPower, a program dedicated to increasing clean energy use.
- Over 200 trees were planted on the site, and regionally sourced materials and LED automatic lights were used in the lab’s construction.
- The lab is equipped with Detroit’s largest electro-dynamic vibration table, a battery crush capability of up to 1 Mega Newton, and the capacity to conduct indoor fire testing.
- It offers in-house battery testing performance and safety/abuse testing.
The opening of this new laboratory signifies TÜV SÜD’s intent to remain at the forefront of EV battery testing and sustainability efforts. Their commitment to thorough, rigorous testing will provide manufacturers and consumers with confidence in the performance and safety of EV batteries.
TÜV SÜD’s keen focus on delivering customer-centric, tailored solutions is paving the way for the successful electrification of the transport system, enhancing the safety, reliability, and sustainability of the expanding EV market. Over the last decade, the EV battery industry has drawn more than $400 billion in investments, testifying to the industry’s vitality and promising future.