What’s Happening: Hyundai has introduced its all-new 2024 Kona Electric, Limited, and N Line models at the New York International Auto Show. The second-generation Kona is set to arrive at U.S. dealers this summer, with the Kona Electric coming later in the fall. Hyundai’s advanced safety features, convenience, and a preliminary estimated electric range of 260 miles make the Kona Electric a key player in the small SUV segment.
Why It Matters: This move by Hyundai reflects the company’s accelerated electrification strategy, aiming to bring 11 new Hyundai EVs to market globally by 2030. Developing the new Kona platform with an electrified powertrain first represents a significant shift in the automaker’s approach, as it works towards cleaner mobility and sustainable solutions.
- The all-new Kona offers a comprehensive product package, including a wide range of powertrains and a sporty N Line version.
- Notable upgrades include dual 12.3-inch panoramic display screens, Digital Key 2 Touch, Over-the-Air (OTA) software updates, and Hyundai’s next-generation infotainment system.
- The Kona Electric’s 64.8-kWh battery is estimated to provide up to 260 miles of range and can recharge from 10% to 80% in about 43 minutes with available 400V fast-charging capability.
- The new Kona Electric features a futuristic, EV-centric exterior design with a drag coefficient of 0.27, reflecting Hyundai’s EV-first development process.
- Unique EV-specific features include battery preconditioning, a charging port door lamp, forward “frunk” storage, active grille shutters, exterior Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) capability, i-PEDAL driving mode, and a Smart Regenerative System.
Bottom Line: The all-new 2024 Hyundai Kona Electric, Limited, and N Line models showcase Hyundai’s commitment to clean mobility and advanced technology. With their distinctive styling, comprehensive safety features, and impressive electric range, the new Kona lineup is set to make waves in the small SUV segment.