McNeilus Truck and Manufacturing, Inc. has announced that its Volterra ZSL, a zero-emission electric refuse collection vehicle (RCV), has received three significant certifications from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Why It Matters
This certification is crucial as it verifies the zero-emission capabilities of the Volterra ZSL. It is a clear recognition of McNeilus’ efforts in the creation of an eco-friendly solution, playing a key role in advancing sustainability efforts within the refuse collection sector.
- The Volterra ZSL is a product of the collaborative efforts of McNeilus and its parent company, Oshkosh Corporation. The design of the vehicle incorporates over 50 patented and patent-pending technologies.
- The vehicle has earned three prestigious certifications: the EPA Heavy Duty Greenhouse Gas Certificate of Conformity, CARB Heavy Duty Greenhouse Gas Executive Order, and the CARB Zero Emissions Powertrain Executive Order.
- The EPA certification signifies that the Volterra ZSL complies with Phase 2 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy Duty Engines and Vehicles.
- CARB certification indicates compliance with regulations concerning greenhouse gas emissions and zero emissions for heavy-duty powertrains. This certification also satisfies the zero-emission vehicle reporting requirements for the Advanced Clean Truck regulations, currently active in eight states.
- CARB’s new Advanced Clean Fleets rule mandates zero emissions for refuse vehicle fleets in California by 2040. The Volterra ZSL, by virtue of its CARB certifications, is eligible for purchase vouchers in state incentive programs such as New Jersey’s Zero-Emission Inventive Program (NJ ZIP) or California’s Hybrid and Zero-Emissions Voucher Inventive Project (HVIP).
The Volterra ZSL RCV, produced in McNeilus’ state-of-the-art facility in Murfreesboro, Tenn., showcases the future of refuse collection vehicles. The certifications awarded by the EPA and CARB are a testament to McNeilus’ commitment to advancing sustainable, zero-emission technology in the refuse collection sector, thus helping clients meet their environmental goals. With impressive features like advanced technology, optimized battery management for refuse collection, and a B10-rated 300,000-mile e-axle architecture, the Volterra ZSL RCV stands at the forefront of the transition towards cleaner, more efficient waste management.