Polestar, the electric performance car brand, in collaboration with battery specialist StoreDot, is set to transform electric vehicle (EV) charging standards with their groundbreaking ‘100-in-5’ technology. This innovation promises to add 100 miles of range in a mere five minutes, shaping a future where EV charging is as quick as refueling a conventional car.
Why It Matters
This advancement stands to shatter one of the most significant barriers to EV adoption: prolonged charging times. By enabling a rapid 100-mile range boost in just five minutes, Polestar and StoreDot are addressing range anxiety head-on, potentially increasing the appeal of EVs to a broader market.
- Polestar collaborates with StoreDot on their ‘100-in-5’ extreme fast charging (XFC) technology.
- The XFC technology is compatible with existing battery pack formats, avoiding the need for new battery designs.
- StoreDot demonstrated this technology with a prototype battery module at Polestar Day in Los Angeles.
- A full-scale demonstration in a Polestar 5 prototype is slated for 2024.
- Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath cites the potential of this technology to revolutionize EV ownership by drastically reducing charging times.
- StoreDot CEO Dr. Doron Myersdorf emphasizes the partnership with Polestar and the future impact on charging anxiety for EV owners.
The anticipated integration of StoreDot’s XFC technology into Polestar’s EVs could be a game-changer in the industry, offering a glimpse into a future where electric cars can be recharged in the time it takes to grab a coffee. This collaboration not only reflects the innovative strides being made in battery technology but also reaffirms Polestar’s commitment to enhancing the EV user experience. As the world leans into electrification, this alliance is poised to play a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of sustainable transportation.