What’s Happening: ALD Automotive, a major player in sustainable mobility, has signed an international agreement with ChargePoint Holdings, Inc., a leading electric vehicle (EV) charging network, to establish a new EV charging business in Europe. The business will cater to both international and local corporate clients and aims to create a unique electric Mobility Service Provider (eMSP) to accelerate corporate fleet electrification.
Why It Matters: The partnership between ALD Automotive and ChargePoint will simplify and facilitate access to EV charging services for corporate fleets, potentially becoming a game changer in accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles. ALD Automotive takes its responsibility in facilitating the energy transition seriously and is dedicated to making sustainable mobility a reality.
- The new charging business will be powered by ChargePoint’s best-in-class technology, providing drivers of corporate fleets with a simple charging solution for easy access, payments, and reimbursement reports.
- Drivers will have access to a charging network of over 485,000 charging ports across Europe, using a single dedicated app and charging card.
- Fleet managers will benefit from a unique, consolidated reporting and invoicing solution that provides an overview of all charging costs in a single dashboard.
- The eMSP will be headquartered in the Paris region, with the launch expected in Q4 2023. It will initially be available in France and the Netherlands, followed by Belgium and Germany, and eventually expanding to 8 European countries by 2025.
- The new business is expected to extend to additional geographies over time, as well as small and medium companies, leasing companies, and private individuals. Carbon brokerage services (vehicle-to-grid, carbon credits, etc.) are also planned for the medium term.
Bottom Line: ALD Automotive and ChargePoint’s joint venture aims to transform the corporate fleet landscape in Europe by simplifying and facilitating access to EV charging services. With a focus on sustainable mobility, this partnership has the potential to significantly accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles and contribute to the global energy transition.