Hyundai Motor has officially kickstarted the production of its next-generation KONA Electric at the Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Czech (HMMC) facility located in the Czech Republic.
Why It Matters
This move reiterates Hyundai’s commitment to its European customer base, highlighting the importance of the European market in the company’s global strategy. The decision to produce the KONA Electric in Europe will significantly reduce delivery times for European consumers and aligns with Hyundai’s goal to offer exclusively zero-emission vehicles in the continent by 2035.
- HMMC aims to roll out over 20,000 units of KONA Electric in its inaugural year.
- The second-gen KONA Electric was designed as an EV-first model, resonating with Hyundai’s electrification plans announced in March 2022 to introduce eleven new EVs by 2030.
- The first-gen KONA Electric, back in 2020, marked Hyundai’s initial EV production in Europe.
- Hyundai looks to intensify its European production, as highlighted by Michael Cole, President & CEO of Hyundai Motor Europe, mentioning that over 70% of their models tailored for European consumers are produced in Europe.
- By the close of 2023, KONA Electric is projected to constitute 15% of HMMC’s entire production.
- The Czech Republic plant is set to roll out two KONA Electric versions, both boasting superior performance and range. Notably, the 65.4-kWh model will offer a remarkable 514 km range.
- Production also includes a version tailored for right-hand drive regions including the UK, Ireland, and Cyprus.
- The batteries for KONA Electric are sourced from LG Energy Solution’s plant in Poland and assembled at the HMMC facility.
Hyundai’s move to produce the KONA Electric in Europe underscores its dedication to the region and its electrification vision. This strategic initiative not only enhances delivery efficiency for European customers but also represents a significant step toward a greener automotive future. As global EV demand soars, Hyundai continues its march forward, pledging to broaden its portfolio of electric models produced at HMMC in the years to come.
Disclaimer: CO2 and emissions data Electricity consumption and CO2 emissions for Hyundai KONA Electric vary based on the model. All provided data adheres to WLTP standards, indicating 0 g/km CO2 emissions for all KONA Electric variants.